Go Back   UltraGuest Forum > UltraGuest Forums > Guestbook Support

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
ShatPank

Exclamation Guestbook Background

Hey, I was browsing other member's guestbook's with the "random member" option and I noticed one certain guestbook that had a background. This background was a big picture of traffic. Could you please be so kind and tell me how I could add a backgroun like that to my guestbook? Thank you for your time.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Andreas
UltraGuest Admin

Default Re: Guestbook Background

The guestbook system in not designed to enable a background image, but using DHTML, javascript or incorrect HTML it is apparently possible to alter the background...

The correct way to add a background image is by using the <body> HTML tag, but is a feature has yet to come. If you see a guestbook using a background image, please post the URL here and I'll check out how the image was added.

If anyone has suggestions as to how this can be done, please let me know!
Old 11-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #3
sylke

I am using a template that has stylesheet information in it. Using that you can apply a background image to the body tag. I have no idea how correct or incorrect this is in terms of HTML rules, but it works. Here is what I have added to the top of my template (of course with a working image URL):

<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
<!---
.dummy {}
BODY {background: url(http://YOUR_IMAGE_URL); }

--->
</STYLE>

(Regarding the ".dummy" line: for some reason I only got this to work with a dummy style entry above BODY line. If that one wouldn't there, the BODY line gets ignored. I am probably doing something wrong with the code, but it works in both MSIE and Firefox.)

Last edited by sylke; 11-15-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:25 AM   #4
ShatPank

Arrow Re: Guestbook Background

Err......could you please be more lamen with me please. I don't know html. I now know what I have to write, now I just need to know where. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
sylke

Hm, ok, why don't you try going into the Guestbook settings and adding this code in the Guestbook Header editor. Click on the "<>" symbol in the toolbar, so that you get to see the HTML code. Go to the very first position in the code text and paste in the code from my post (with a working image URL). Save and see whether it works for you. If that doesn't work, I guess that you would need a template file, but as say you don't know any HTML, so I can't help you any further.
Before you do this I'd advise you to take a copy of the code you currently have in your Guestbook Header editor - just to make sure you can paste it back in if things should go wrong. And please don't blame me if things go wrong nevertheless, I don't know this guestbook that well...!
Old 11-17-2004, 10:18 AM   #6
ShatPank

I don't know if you're allowed to swear on this forum....But IT'S ****ING GREAT! I am VERY grateful sykle, and you are some kind of pissing GOD! It worked perfectly! I just drew a crappy snow background to test it, and it WORKED! It looks a bit scruffy, but at least I know how to do it!!! THANXX!

Check it out! Click here!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 AM   #7
Davy

ShatPank
I hope you dont mind I have borrowed your background, just till I understand how it works. (I will remove it if you want)

Cheers
Davy
Old 11-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #8
Davy

How can I "freeze" the background so that only the entries scroll? I can do this in FrontPage "Make background a Watermark" but I dont know which HTML to copy or where to paste it

Cheers
Davy
Old 11-25-2004, 07:24 AM   #9
ShatPank

Talking Re: Guestbook Background

Davy,
Hey I don't mind the background borrowing thing! S'good to know someone appreciates it! Anyway, as for that "freezing" thing. I don't think mine does that so I wouldn't know. Are you sure you followed sykle's instructions properly? I think that's the best you're gonna get..........Although.....That traffic one I saw on someone's guestbook had a freeze effect....... So I think it IS possible. Anyway, sorry I couldn't help more. See ya!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:38 AM   #10
Lonegunmen

Thumbs up Re: Guestbook Background

Thanks for the code mate, works perfectly for my background. What code should I use and where do I sit it in the html code, to add a "heading" jpeg to sit on the top and middle of the guestbook with the background "wallpaper" please?

You've made a dull guestbook something so very much nicer!

Last edited by Lonegunmen; 01-05-2005 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Colour of font
Closed Thread